Sunday, January 6, 2013

Welcome to My Gluten Free World

Welcome to Gluten Free Memphis, a restaurant blog for Celiacs and Gluten Intolerants living in Memphis, TN.  My name is Sharon and I have Celiac Disease.  I was diagnosed in 2012 and have been gluten free since July of that year. 

When I was first diagnosed, I did a lot of research on Celiac Disease and how to eat a gluten free diet.  One thing I noticed was missing on the web was specific information on eating gluten free in the Memphis area.  I am hoping this blog will fill that gap.

I am married to a very great husband and we have a school-aged child.  I try to cook fresh, healthy food at home as much as possible, but between soccer practice, working late, Boy Scouts, church, and all the other craziness that is my life, sometimes it's just easier for us to go out to eat. 

Of course eating out becomes much more complicated once you can't have gluten.  That's where this blog comes in.  I hope it will help those of you out there who are also gluten free.  I will do my best to try and post often, but can't guarantee how often because of all the craziness I mentioned above.  Thanks for reading.  I hope to see you eating out Gluten Free in the Bluff City.

6 comments:

  1. I appreciate you sharing and look forward to seeing what you find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading. If you have any good restaurant ideas, please send them my way. I'm always on the lookout for new places to try.

      Delete
    2. I'm curious about Ciao Bella, because I've read a lot about their intentions but some negative about their realities (staff not trained, GF choices like pasta out of stock). I'd also love to see a definitive guide to GF barbecue.

      Delete
    3. I'll have to add them to my list of places to go. We haven't been there yet. As for BBQ, I've had a good experience at the Rendezvous and Neely's both.

      Delete
  2. Bon Ton has been very accomodating for me with GF. They are preparing a new menu with GF items and as of today, started carrying GF bread for their sandwiches. They know all about cross contamination and are very careful to use separate utensils. They also fry their French Fries in a separate fryer than everything else. Their manager is very knowledgable about all things GF. Highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info, Pam. I haven't been to Bon Ton in ages. I used to go there when Sammy owned it back before I was GF. I haven't tried it since it reopened but I will definitely give it a shot based on your recommendation. Any place that has a dedicated fryer and GF bread sounds good to me!

    Keep the recommendations coming everyone.

    ReplyDelete