Monday, January 14, 2013

Hog and Hominy

Didn't feel like cooking dinner Friday night.  That's nothing new for me.  But I was tired of going to all the usual restaurants we eat at.  Luckily I had picked up the latest copy of Edible Memphis last week.  They had an article on gluten free ordering etiquette and a list of some GF restaurants.  Since they don't have a link to the list on their website, I took a picture to keep as a handy reference:


I thought I'd give Hog and Hominy a shot.  It's located at Brookhaven Circle.  The place was hopping on a Friday night with lots of folks enjoying some delicious looking food.  The waiter seemed pretty knowledgeable about the gluten free items on their menu.  He said that all their pizzas could be made on a gluten free crust.  I was hooked right then.  I don't know about the rest of you GF peeps, but I get tired of eating salads at restaurants because it's the only safe food.  It was good to have tons of options.  Here were the pizza options alone:



We decided to go for the 'Shrooms Pizza.  This is what it looked like:

 
I would never have thought to put arugula on pizza, but it was really tasty.  It gave it a nice tang.  Like most GF pizzas, it was a thin crust.  It was good - not overcooked like thin crusts sometimes are.  The pizza was a little small for the both of us to eat.  We probably should have ordered one of their side dishes to go with it.  Especially since I was starving and hadn't had GF pizza in quite a while.  I made a pig of myself at Hog & Hominy (pun intended).  Overall I was very happy with my meal.
 
On another note, I do miss a good deep dish pizza.  I would pay a lot of money if someone could invent a good GF deep dish crust.  I never cheat on my GF diet and am seldom tempted.  But the other night I worked late and my husband ordered a pizza for him and my son.  The crust was sooooo tempting.  If anyone out there knows someplace in the Memphis area with a GF deep dish pizza, please, please, puh-lease let me know!  In the mean time, the thin crust pizzas at Hog & Hominy make a pretty good substitute.

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience at H&H, but was a little surprised/disappointed that they don't advertise their GF options at all. If someone didn't know to ask, they'd have no idea that the pizza (and all the sides) can be GF. They might even skip it entirely, which would be a loss all around. I'd love to see more Memphis restaurants promote their GF options in some way - if not on their menus, at least on their websites, Facebook, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about advertising their GF options. The only reason I knew Hog & Hominy had GF dishes was because of the Edible Memphis article. If any restaurant owners are out there reading, be sure to promote your GF options on your menus, in your advertising, and by social media. Let us know you have GF food and we will be happy to patronize your business.

    ReplyDelete